M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32 - Setup with Ableton Live
Ideal for making music on the go, the Axiom AIR Mini 32 is small in size and big on features. This guide will walk you through a few simple steps for seamless integration with Ableton Live, as well as demonstrate a few of its most useful controls.
So, what makes the Axiom AIR Mini 32 and Ableton Live work so well together?
HyperControl is an exclusive technology found in M-Audio keyboards. Simply put, HyperControl automatically maps the keyboard's transport controls and knobs to instantly match the most useful and commonly accessed parameters in many of today's top music software titles.
HyperControl is built into Ableton Live version 8.4.1 and later. No additional driver or software installation is required.
- Connect the Axiom AIR Mini 32 to an available USB port on your computer using the supplied cable, and launch Ableton Live.
- On Mac, select Live > Preferences from the Menu at the top of the screen. PC users will select Options > Preferences. For qucker access, use the key command [Command + comma] on Mac, or [Control + comma] on a PC.
- Now select the MIDI / Sync tab from the left side of the window.
- In the Control Surface column, select Axiom AIR MINI32. In the same row, choose Axiom A.I.R. Mini32 (HyperControl) as the Input and Output. This will allow us to take advantage of Live's Instant Mappings.
- Next, choose Pickup from the Takeover Mode drop-down menu. This tells Live to change the value of the parameter being controlled once its current position is crossed. This will make for a smooth transition when switching between devices and controls.
- Lastly, select the Audio tab to make sure your audio device is set up properly.
- To begin a project, load an instrument from the Browser. For this example, we will use one of the many Instrument Racks included in Live 8.
- Press the record button on the bottom of the instrument's channel strip to arm the track for recording. You can now go ahead and play a few keys on the Axiom, and should be able to hear some sound. Note how this can also be accomplished using the navigation controls located to the left of the Axiom's knobs!
- Now, take a look at the different options you have for the Axiom's knobs. Simply select what function you wish to control (Volume, Pan, or Inst/FX), and move the knobs on the controller. When set to control the instrument, all eight knobs are automatically assigned
- At this point, try adding an effect to the chain. With the new device in focus, the knobs on the keyboard now control all of the most common and useful parameters without any further configuration. Have fun!
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an M-Audio product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the M-Audio technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.