M-Audio Code Series - Setup in Ableton Live
M-Audio presents its Code Series keyboard controllers, a family of three full-featured models, combining all of the production power and performance you need to get the most from your music software and MIDI gear. This guide walks through how to use Mackie Control to set up the M-Audio Code keyboard with Ableton Live.
- On the Code, press the EDIT button to enter the Edit Mode
- Hold SHIFT and press the key labeled "MACKIE/HUI" until the screen reads "MACKIE"
- Press each Mode button (fader, button, encoder) until the button is lit green. Your keyboard is now in Mackie Mode.
- Open Ableton Live 9 Lite.
- Navigate to the Preferences menu by making the following selections
Select Live > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Options > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Click on the MIDI Sync tab that is on the left side column.
- In a Control Surface drop-down menu, choose MackieControl.
- In the Input and Output drop-down menus, choose Code 25 (Port 3) (Windows) or Code 25 (Mackie/HUI) (Mac).
- Now in the bottom portion of this same screen under MIDI Ports, locate Input: Code. and Input: MackieControl Input. Turn on Track and Remote for both.
Please note: There is no need to activate Sync or any of the outputs for the Code. If you plan on sending/receiving MIDI data and/or clock from Ableton to the MIDI ports on the Code, you can activate Track, Sync and Remote for the Code (Port 2) input and output.
- Exit the Preferences menu. The transport controls, knobs, and faders of the Code will now be mapped out to Ableton.
Important Note: If the wrong port is selected as the input and output for the Mackie Control surface, you may experience unresponsive keys, keys opening and closing windows, and/or faders affecting the pitch of your virtual instrument. Simply double-check and re-assign the Mackie Control surface ports to Code 25 (Port 3) for Windows or Code 25 (Mackie/HUI) for Mac.
The faders, buttons, and encoders all have three different functional modes: Mackie/HUI, MIDI, and HID. To connect with the Mackie Control surface, press each MODE button on the Code until it appears green to indicate the parameters are in Mackie Mode. See the chart below for the parameter assignments in Mackie Mode:
|Code Parameter||Ableton Parameter|
|Stop||Stop (press twice to return to start)|
|Fast Forward||Fast Forward|
|Master Fader||Master Volume|
|Buttons||(see chart below)|
The buttons are capable of a few different functions and will display different colors depending on the currently chosen function. On the Code, hold SHIFT and press B1 to cycle through the different functions. See the chart below for a description:
|Red||Track Record Enable|
|Blue||Track Mute (Off)|
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an M-Audio product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the M-Audio technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.